DEWALT DCD995B Review 2017 Power Hammer Drill
This is my review of the DEWALT DCD995B 20V Premium Hammer Drill. This is a power drill designed for the serious DIY person, or for someone in the building or construction trades. The powerful brushless 650 watt motor delivers everything you will ever need in terms of power and more.
It is worth pointing out, that this is usually sold as a “bare tool.” That means that it does not come with a battery or a charger. Just be aware of that, if you decide to buy it online.
This drill will go through masonry like you would not believe. This drill is built to work and to add some extra power to those drilling jobs. It is another classic from DEWALT that I think will be around for a long time to come. As one buyer at Amazon quite rightly said,
“Just got this puppy and she’s a beauty.”
When this tool was first released it was just over $300, but that price has now been slashed to around half of that. It still costs a lot of money but is a high end product. It has been replaced with the newer Dewalt DCD995B. That said this 995B remains very popular.
Main Features of the DEWALT DCD995B Premium
- I really like the size of this drill as it measures 8.9 by 4.1 by 10.1 inches and weighs 4.4 pounds. I love using the 20V range of DEWALT tools but there is always the problem that they are too big to work in smaller areas. With this power drill they have really cut back on the size without any loss of power.
- DEWALT have recently started using brushless motors and these will really extend the life of your drill as there are no brushes to burn out. You will get almost double the life span from this drill.
- It is a 3-speed drill with a full metal transmission and a proper heavy duty 1/2″ metal ratcheting chuck. The speed of this is 0-2,000 rpm
Those are the main features of this drill and it is certainly the best of quality.
Other Features of the DEWALT DCD995B
- It comes with the DEWALT standard 3-year limited warranty.
- There is an LED light that has a 20 second trigger release and for once this light has been designed so as shadows are not cast on the area where you are working. This really does make a huge difference. They have achieved this by putting the light at the base of the drill rather than immediately under the chuck.
- To give you an indication of the hammer power in this drill it can deliver up to 34,000 BPM (Blows Per Minute) This is perfect for taking on those tough masonry jobs
- This one takes a lithium-ion battery but please note it does not come with this drill and nor does the charger
As you can see this tool comes with a brake and the chuck stops when the trigger is released. The side handle clamps to the front of the gear case and can be used by either a left or right handed person. There is a forward and reverse control button and you can adjust the torque by adjusting the torque control to the required number. The higher the number, the higher the torque.
At Amazon there are now over 130 buyer reviews who have highly rated this one at 4.7 out of 5 stars. That is a really high rating and it shows you that this is a good quality product. Here is a typical review so as you get a feel for what most people are saying about this one:
Best drill I’ve every owned.
ByBrian L.on March 17, 2015
I initially purchased the Dewalt DCD990, which is the exact same tool without the hammer drill setting. It is well worth it to get the DCD995 instead, the Dewalt 20V Max system is exactly what I was looking for. It is above and beyond what any typical homeowner would ever need, the light placement and function is great, and its brushless so the battery, regardless of whether you’re using the 1.5AH or 5.0AH is more than sufficient for most tasks. The handle is easy to put on or take off depending on the task you’re taking on. I have been very pleased with the Dewalt 20V line, and the DCD995 is the work horse of my collection.
What’s In The Box
- The DEWALT 995B power drill
- Belt hook
- Bit Holder
- Side Handle
In the video below you can see this drill in action. You can also see a decent review on this product.
My Verdict of the DEWALT 995B Power drill
You would be really hard pushed to find a complaint about the power drill. If they had provided a battery and charger, then I don’t think I would have had a single thing to complain about. Sadly they didn’t and I really do wish DEWALT would provide these as standard.
Now that said, if you are looking for a powerful hammer drill, then look no further than this one. It is extremely good and the DEWALT DCD995B 20V Max XR Lithium Ion Brushless Premium Hammer Drill Bare Tool gets the job done quickly.
The newer model is also getting great reviews, but this one is still selling really well. It seems to be firm favourite with many users.