DEWALT DW717 10-Inch Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw Review
The DW717 is a very popular choice, mainly for professionals, who want a robust 10" miter saw. At around $500 this is not cheap, but is the perfect tool for someone who needs to use a saw of this nature on a regular basis.
It of course can be used on many home projects as well, but is an expensive choice, if it is only going to get occasional use. If you are someone who enjoys working a lot out in a work shop, and you want a saw that is deadly accurate, then this one would also be ideal.
The DEWALT DW717 10-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter-Saw specializes in accuracy. This is without doubt the key decision you will have to make. You will have to balance the cost of this against getting highly accurate cuts.
DW717 Key Design Features
The way that this DEWALT has been designed allows you to cut fast and cut right every time you use the saw. It does quite perfect 90 or 45 degree cuts - and it’s just the job for cross cuts, too. It has a lot of convenient features that can make any project you tackle turn out right.
Just below, I have explained what I think are three of the most important features, that make this saw stand out from the crowd.
First, it offers buyers the standard 10-inch blade that is fully powered by a powerful 15-amp motor. Since it has a no load speed rocking it at 4,000 rpm, whether you’re cutting a baseboard or something else, the task gets done quickly.
This miter saw has 7 positive stops that deliver fast, accurate, and repeatable cuts. That can be a huge time saver, especially if doing repetitive cuts. There is also a miter detent plate, that has 11 positive stops.
Dual Steel Rails
I think these are great and also very useful. These horizontal rails run on linear ball bearings, and have a really easy to use clamping system, ideal for cutting longer pieces of timber.
Now this saw has a lot more features than that, and the quality of build is excellent, but I primarily like these three very useful features, which do make this Dewalt DW717 a little different to the rest.
How Do Buyers Rate the Dewalt DW717
The best way to check out how good a saw is, is to read the buyer reviews. There are a lot of them for this DW717 model. We have read all of them and have summarised our finding below.
Buyers rate this saw using a star system, with 1 being the lowest rating and 5 being the highest rating. We have summarised those below in percentage terms.
You can now see at a glance, that 2 out of every 3 buyers gave this the full 5 star treatment. 89% rated it 4 stars or higher. Only 3% thought this high end saw merited a 1 star review. We will of course try and find out why, they thought this was the case. Overall though it has received an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
What Buyers Said About the DW717
We now know the price is around $500, and overall buyers give this miter saw a very good rating at 4.3 out of 5 stars. Now let's have a look at that they had to say when they actually wrote their reviews.
Again we have summarised this in a Pros and Cons Table just below.
- High quality, accurate and reliable
- The high fence is very useful and not available on that many miter saws
- Changing settings on this model is very quick indeed
- Not great on dust collection, but when hooked up to a vacuum it works great
- Buyers have used it on decking, house trims and other home projects with great and accurate success
- The main complaint was the high price
- A couple were disappointed that they couldn't get the saw to do bevel cuts properly
In summary most of the reviews were positive. There is certainly a high expectation from buyers, when they spend close to $500 for a tool. In my opinion, they are of course quite right to have that expectation.
Most are happy that they have got value for money, and that is important to understand.
Dewalt DW717 Specification
I always like to know the full specification of my miter saws, so I have included that below.
- It is a 10" sliding double bevel miter saw
- It measures 31 x 23.5 x 19.5 in
- eighs 51 lbs
- It is powered and driven by a 15-ampere motor, which has a no load speed of 4,000 RPM
- There is an adjustable miter detent plate, with 11 positive stops
- High sliding fence, that is suitable for wider items such as crown and base moldings (6.25" crown molding and 6" base molding) - this slides away easily when not required
- 2 steel horizontal rails for accurate blade travel and guidance
- 3 year limited warranty
- 90 day money back guarantee
- Miter capacity - 0 to 60 degrees to the left and 0 to 52 degrees to the right--adds versatility for more complex cuts.
- Has a carry handle
Video Overview of the Dewalt 717
Our Verdict on the DEWALT DW717 10-Inch Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
So in summary, this is an expensive choice, but overall we think it is good value for money. As such we have allocated an overall value for money rating at 85%.
This is a good choice for home owners and also for many professionals, as this is in our opinion, a high end saw from the very high quality Dewalt brand.
There are very few cuts, that you will not be able to do with this miter saw. Many buyers commented on the ease of use. They also spoke positively of the effectiveness of the high fence, especially effective for the variety of base and crown moldings.