Best Table Saw for the Beginner - Buying Guide and Recommendations
Thanks for taking the time to read our information on what we believe is the best table saw for a beginner. It really doesn't matter what new tool you go to use, at some point you will use it for the first time.
Now let's be honest, using a hammer doesn't take a lot of figuring out. However when it comes to power tools, that is an entirely different matter.
Table saws are never a cheap purchase, and if you don't know a great deal about them, then you are making the right decision by looking at reviews, just like the ones we offer here at our Tool and Go website.
Every single person is a beginner at one time, and with experience and practise we just get a whole lot better. The good news is that you want to get started, and now the information that you want to know, is what is the best table saw to purchase when starting out.
The contributors here at our website having been using tools for years, and many of us have made regular and frequent use of a variety of table saws. There are a few different types available on the market.
They also cover quite a wide price range and are manufactured by many leading tool brands.
Hopefully we can at least point you in the right direction and make sure you have enough important information, to help you pick the best table saw for your individual needs. Let's get started.
Quick Answer For Those In a Hurry
The best table saw for a beginner we believe is the Craftsman Evolv 15 Amp 10 In. Table Saw. The reason we have picked that one is that it has all the right features that a beginner really needs, gets good enough ratings from online buyers (80% buyer satisfaction), and is also one of the most affordable.
The Craftsman Evolv is a great choice for the DIY'er and is a solid and reliable option. Please note this is not a good choice for a contractor or for commercial use.
In our opinion this is a very good table saw for a beginner, at a good price and works great for my home projects.
It does the job a great deal better than trying to hand hold a circular saw.
There are others out there with a few more features, by higher end brands but the disadvantage is that they are around twice the price of this Craftsman model.
The Dewalt DW745 is the highest rated model according to online buyers, but is almost double the price.
We have already mentioned price a few times, so allow us to explain why. The reason we like to mention the price early on is that the price points do fluctuate for these types of table saws.
They range from around $85 and all the way up to $2,000. Most beginners would be well advised not to spend huge amounts of money when starting out.
It is always better to buy something of good quality that will do the tasks you need it to. Then as you improve your skills, or the range of projects that you want to work on, you can always trade in your cheaper one for a saw with more features, or from a higher end brand.
The more expensive saws will have worm drives, extremely high accuracy etc but you need to be willing to pay $2,000+ for one of those. Those who buy those will need them for quality furniture building, or finer and more detailed work.
For the average person, you will most likely just need a table saw to do some ripping or cross cutting of wood. You still want it to be accurate of course, and also to be durable enough to last.
Beginner Table Saw Buying Guide
Just below we have provided a beginner's buying guide for table saws. Underneath that we have then included a top 5 buyer rated table of what we believe to be the best saws for beginners. We have also included summary reviews of each individual saw.
We would strongly recommend reading our buying guide first. That way you will know exactly what to look for when it comes to buying your first table saw.
We will start with some useful general information, and then get into the more detailed features after that.
Which Brands Make Table Saws?
Most of the leading tool brands make some type of table saw. We have included a list of the most popular brands just below:
What Types of Table Saw are Available?
This is where it can get slightly confusing, so it is important to understand what you are really buying. Manufacturers refer to these in slightly different ways.
This term "portable" varies on meaning, depending on the way each manufacturer uses that description. The term portable creates a vision that you can pick this saw up and move it around to different locations.
The reason they say it is portable is that it is light enough to be able to move. Yes you can move these, but they are certainly not light in weight. A typical table saw will weigh around 50-75 lbs in weight.
Some manufacturers will have a carrying handle on their models, but many do not. So if as a beginner you need a saw to carry around to different locations, then just be aware that these are not that light, but that they can be moved.
Job Site & Bench Table Saws Explained
You may also see portable table saws referred to as Job site saws or even bench table saws. The job site description is used to aim at the contractor market place. In other words what the manufacturer is saying that these are suitable to be moved from one job site to another. (portable)
Likewise when they use the word bench, what they mean by that is that in a smaller workshop, where you are more limited for space, these can be set up on a workbench when being used, and then easily stored away. (portable)
Table Saw Stands Explained
Many of the table saws will come with a table saw stand. In other words when you buy the saw, it does come with a stand, designed to hold that particular brand of saw.
Many table saws do not come with a stand. We believe here at Tool and Go, that you should always buy a table saw with a stand.
The reason for that is that it just makes the saw a great deal easier to set up and use. Almost every table saw stand folds making it easy to store when not in use.
Some of these stands will have rolling wheels, and that does make them easier to move around. Of course these don't offer much benefit if you have to move the saw up flights of stairs.
What Size do Table Saws Come In?
Almost all of these are 10" saws. That of course refers to the blade size and the 10" is by far the most popular size. The actual physical dimensions of the saws vary by brand and the actual model.
Top 5 Buyer Rated Saws for Beginners
The top 5 buyer rated table saws for beginners are:
- Dewalt DW745 (92%) - Highest Rated
- SKILSAW SPT70WT-01 (88%) - Worm Drive
- DEWALT DWE7480XA (88%) - With stand
- Craftsman Evolv (80%) - Most affordable with a stand
- Rockwell BladeRunner X2 (79%) - Most affordable
Please note if you click on any of the product names above, you can jump straight to the summary review. The percentage number refers to the buyer satisfaction awarded to each model by online buyers.
Below you will find a image of each saw in our top 5 list. If you click on the image you will be able to see a larger image.
DEWALT DW745 10-Inch Compact Job-Site Table Saw with 20-Inch Max Rip Capacity
- Suitable for 0° to 45°
- Has a protective steel roll cage
- Use a rack and pinion fence system
- Has a front and rear fence lock
- Has an 1850 Watt motor for high performance (15 Amps)
- Fence system provides 610 mm of rip capacity
- Has a cast table top design
This saw also has an overload protection system. In addition it also has a quick bevel lock for easy and accurate adjustments.
This saw comes with a 24 tooth SERIES 30 saw blade, a mitre fence, 2 blade spanners, a parallel fence, a push stick and a dust port reducer.
- 77% of all buyers gave this model a 5 star review
- Buyers said this was easy to set up, move around when required and then to store
- Buyers really love the rack and pinion fence system
- Almost every buyer said that this saw was very high quality.
- 3% of all buyers gave this model a bad review
- A couple of buyers said they had issues with the blade binding
SKILSAW SPT70WT-01 10" Portable Worm Drive Table Saw with 25" Rip Capacity
- Brass geared worm drive table saw
- Horsepower (hp) 5.0
- 15 Amp dual field motor
- 25 in. rip capacity and 3-1/2 in. depth of cut
- Self-aligning rip fence
- Portable and compact while staying lightweight at only 49 lbs.
- Bevel Capacity:46
What makes this one different from other table saws on our list is the fac that is is a worm drive table saw. It has been designed mainly for quickly ripping through wood.
The worm drive will always provide the maximum torque and power for ripping through materials without bogging down.
This makes it ideal for ripping full sheets of plywood. The saw comes with a 24-tooth SKILSAW Carbide-tipped blade for ripping, a miter gauge, a self-aligning fence, a guard system including anti-kick back device, insert plate, and a push stick.
It also comes with a 180 day money back guarantee.
- 64% of all buyers gave this model a 5 star review
- Buyers said this was a very powerful saw
- Buyers said cutting bevels is very easy
- Buyers also loved the self-aligning rip fence
- 7% of all buyers gave this model a bad review
- Doesn't come with a stand
- A couple of buyers said that when it arrived there was no blade
DEWALT DWE7480XA 10 in. Portable Table Saw with Table Saw Stand
- Uses rack and pinion telescoping fence rails
- Has a rip capacity of 24"
- Uses a modular guarding system which allows for tool free adjustments
- Has a 15 Ampere 4800 rpm motor which can easily get through the harder woods
- Comes with a heavy-duty table saw stand that folds flat for easy storage
- It also has a dust port that allows for 2-1/2 inch vacuum hook up.
This model is classes as a 10 inch table saw suitable for using a job sites. It is compact and light enough in weight and comes with a metal roll cage for job site durability.
The blade can be adjusted 0 - 45 degrees for bevel applications. The rear feet on the stand can be adjusted quickly and easily so as you can level the saw saw on uneven work surfaces.
It also comes with a 24 tooth carbide blade. And finally the table has been coated ans that helps reduce friction for smoother cutting.
- 75% of all buyers gave this model a 5 star review
- Buyers really like the power of this saw and the ease with which it cuts
- They really liked the design of the fence and how easy that was to adjust
- Buyers also liked the riving knife
- Buyers liked the fact that it was designed for heavy duty work, but still light enough to be able to move around
- Only 2% of all buyers gave this model a bad review
- A couple of buyers said the in feed was too short
Craftsman Evolv 15 Amp 10 In. Table Saw 28461
- This saw comes with a 24 tooth carbide tipped blade, a stand, blade wrenches, hex keys, anti-kickback pawls, blade guard assembly, push stick, miter gauge, rip fence and operator's manual
- This is just about everything you will need as a beginner when starting out using this type of saw.
- It has a 15 amp motor that can get through tough materials cut after cut
The miter gauge is easy to adjust and allows quick and accurate control for tight bevels and corners
The guarding system is good.
The table top measures 25" x 17" and is made from steel
It also comes with a steel stand.
It is worth pointing out that this is not the same quality as the first three on our list. That said, this set is about half of the price. At the end of the day you do get what you pay for.
If you plan on using this to do some DIY jobs around the home, then this table saw is good enough for that purpose.
- 57% of all buyers gave this model a 5 star review
- Buyers say this is a tough little saw that is accurate and easy to use
- Buyers said this saw was easy to set up and worked really well for them
- Buyers thought this saw was very good value for money
- 10% of all buyers gave this model a bad review
- A few buyers said the blade was out of alignment and needed to be adjusted
- Some buyers did not like the plastic switches
Rockwell BladeRunner X2 Portable Tabletop Saw with Steel Rip Fence, Miter Gauge, and 7 Accessories – RK7323
- This is certainly the cheapest portable tabletop saw that we could find
- Ideal for cutting wood, metal, tile, aluminum and plastic
- It can do a variety of cuts including rip, scroll, miter, and inside cuts
- Has a built in tabletop handle to carry anywhere
- Weighs just 15 pounds.
There is also a hold down guard, and a larger rip fence for better control and a nice, accurate cut.
There are also tool-free blade changes and the saw is compatible with any 4" t-shank jigsaw blades
So you also get a vacuum port, a large steel rip fence, miter gauge, 5-piece starter blade set and manufacturer’s 3-year warranty.
- 51% of all buyers gave this model a 5 star review
- Buyers say although not a true table saw it is certainly light and cuts wood easily enough
- Buyers say this is a good choice if you are limited for space in your workshop
- 13% of all buyers gave this model a bad review
- Buyers say this is not a proper table saw
5 Table Saw Tips for Beginners
Just below we have included a video that includes 5 tips that anyone should follow when they buy their first table saw.
Our Summary of the Top 5 Table Saws for Beginners
We think your choice will come down to how much you are willing to spend on buying the table saw. That is of course very important, but the only other thing we would ask you to consider, are what are your plans for the saw.
If it is only to do a few DIY projects around the home, then the Craftsman Evolv is a good enough choice for that, and is of course one of the most affordable.
By spending some extra money, either one of the Dewalt models on our list above, is going to be an excellent choice. These are also very well made, powerful and built to last.