Bosch HDS182BL Drill Review
Please note this Bosch model is no longer available in most stores. It appears to have been discontinued by the manufacturer. You may be able to find it as a second hand or used option.
This is our review of the popular Bosch HDS182BL Bare-Tool which is a 1/2-Inch Compact Tough Hammer Drill/Driver that also comes with the popular stacking and storing system from the same company.
This product is suitable for professionals and for those people who want their drill to be able to do a lot of work.
With an average price of around $300 when first released, you can now pick it up on various discounts if you know where to look. You can usually pick up a bargain, if you search around online.
Key Features and Specifications
The Bosch HDS182BL hammer and drill is made from a composite of ABS and nylon popularly known as Durashield. Size
It is a relatively compact tool that comes in measurements of 18.5” length, 14.4” width, and height of 6.2 inches. The 10.2 pound tool head measures 7-2 /5 inches long, and houses a brushless motor.
In addition to delivering up to 1700 RPM top speed, the motor is protected from misuse or overloading by the Electronic Motor Protection (EMP) system. A user has the options of choosing between two speeds; 0-500 and 0-1700RPM courtesy of the variable speed trigger.
Power to the drill is delivered through a variety of lithium-ion batteries which unfortunately are not included in the package, but that is why it is known as a “Bare Tool.”
The SlimPack variety is the lightest delivering 18Volts 1.5 Ah, the FatPack is more powerful providing 18volts 2.0Ah, while the FatPack HD is the most powerful offering 18-Volts 3.0Ah. These are simply different types of batteries but they do need to be bought separately.
The good news is that they can then be used on most other Bosch cordless tools. Many of the brands are going down this road simply because it keeps people buying their products as they already own the battery and can buy cheaper tools as a result.
Main Benefits of the HDS182BL
- We liked the compact hammer drill as it comes with two variable speeds that are easily selected via an easy-to-reach trigger. For light activities that demand high speeds, the 0-1700RPM is most effective while 0-500 is fit for more demanding tasks that require high torque.
- Besides withstanding cracking or breakage, the Bosch HDS182BL drill/driver will still function well despite falling from high heights for instance 10 feet.
- For longevity, improved performance, and efficiency, the tool is powered a by a brushless motor that offers twice the lifespan of ordinary motors.
- Use of soft-grip wrapping and an effective handle ensures the tool can be held from different angles and for long durations without causing any harm or fatigue.
- The belt clip and four-tip holder provide a good storage point for bits and screws.
– Impressive Design and Compact
The drill comes with an impressive design that is effective for any type of hand whether small or large. It is also quite compact and will drill and drive in tight spots. This is made easier by inclusion of the LED light that provides adequate lighting in the dark.
– Strong built and Efficient
The Bosch HDS182BL drill/driver still looks and operates effectively after falling severally. The high quality material and sturdy design ensures the tool will last for many years while still offering reliable performance.
– User-friendly and Versatile
The versatility of the drill is admirable. It hammers drills, drills, and drives on a variety of surfaces with ease. A fully charged battery can drive as many as 160 screws effortlessly. Changing the keyless 1/2 inch chuck is also pretty simple and straightforward.
– Portable and Safe Storage
The L-BOXX-2 comes in a design that secures the tool plus its accessories. Besides its sturdiness, opening and closing the compartment is easy.
– Doesn’t Come With Battery
Batteries are not included in the drill/driver kit meaning that a buyer has to incur more cost and time looking for the accessory.
– Not Cheap
Despite it not coming with batteries, the drill is still more expensive that other brands that include the batteries. This is one for Bosch lovers though and it gets good reviews. Buyers rate this one at 4 out of 5 stars and when discounted to the current price is good value for money.
What’s contained in The Box?
One(1) Bosch HDS182BL 18V driver plus drill, One (1) 4-Tip Holder for bits, One (1) 4 -Piece Set for bits, One (1) Belt Clip,One (1) Magnetized Holder for Bits, and one (1) L-BOXX-2 case plus exact-Fit Tray.
This would not be at the top of our list of Bosch drills but it is still a good product.