The Bosch ROS20VSK is probably the best of the Bosch sanders that are available in the market right now. This is a 120-Volt random orbit sander kit, that comes with variable speed. Buyers rate this product with an average 88% buyer satisfaction, which is certainly a strong rating.
The average price for this particular Bosch model is around the $75-85 price point.
Key Features of the Bosch Random Orbit Sander
- This is a corded electric option
- It is a 5″ sander which is the the most popular choice
- It measures 14 x 12 x 6.52 and weighs about 6.5 lbs
- Comes with a 30 day money back guarantee and a 1 year manufacturer warranty
- Uses the popular “Hook-and-loop disc attachment”
- Has variable speed which is controlled by a dial and vital for different types of sanding
So in essence, it ticks all the main boxes, that I would expect to see in a good quality random orbital sander. This one appears high on our list of the best sanders, and there are plenty of good reasons for that. Below you will find a video review of this product being unboxed.
Unique Features of this Bosch Model ROS 20VSK
We know that there are plenty of good sanders out there from different brands. What makes this one slightly different from the others, has a lot to do with the dust collection.
If you have read any of my other reviews, then you will know that dust collection on most sanders is not that good. That is why I would always recommend some type of vacuum system in your workshop.
If you have one of those then I would continue to use that. If not, then the dust removal system on this one, is about as good as anything you are going to get. The on-board dust collector is a canister which comes off easily with a twisting motion. It also has an easy to remove pop-off top with a paper filter.
This dust collection system is great for small jobs and great for collecting dust. It will need emptied regularly so having a vacuum attached is the way to go for bigger jobs. The image above shows this unique system, and this is not found in other brands of orbit sanders. It is a very good system and does a great job at collecting sawdust.
The secret to keeping it working well is to make sure that it is emptied regularly, otherwise it will start to clog up.
What Buyers Like About the ROS20VSK Sander
I have summarised below what buyers overall liked about using their new sander. This is based on the reviews that they left after they had bought and used it.
- Nice smooth start up – many of the sanders can jump about when starting out, but this one has a nice slow start and greatly reduces the risks of gouging
- Low Vibration – no need to worry about hand or arm fatigue
- Easy to control – easy to use one handed, but has also been much better designed for 2 handed use
- Improved feel – according to Bosch buyers, they all stated that this sander is much better balanced and just feels a lot better in the hand
- Fast stock removal – it can quickly remove stock if you use a harder sanding pad like the Bosch RS035
- Dust collection – this has probably the best dust collection system out there and is easy to connect to a vacuum system, if you have one
- Sanding pad – This model has a standard soft backing pad with patented “Hook-Tight” backing. There are a lot of small velcro hooks which hold the pad much better and will make the pad last a lot longer.
- Case – this one comes with a case for storage and there is room in that to hold more discs
The vibration is low and that ensures reduced hand fatigue. The dust collector does an excellent job if doing small jobs. On the bigger jobs it will need regular emptying.
What Buyers Did Not Like About the ROS20VSK Sander
Some reviewers, mainly back in 2012 & 2013 said they were not that impressed with the hook and loop method of keeping the pads on. Some also said there was not a wide enough orbit to match what they needed this sander to do.
Summary & Recommendation
Buyer reviews, and plenty of them, giving this sander 4.7 out of 5 stars is great information that this is a very good product. The most recent reviews have all been very positive and it is clear that buyers believe they have made a very good purchase.
This is is a good sander suitable for home use and will work well for small or large projects. It is also in the mid price point range, and we believe good value for money.