This model is no longer available in most online stores. You may still be able to get one of these as either a second hand or used model.
Why not check out our top 10 list of Dewalt drills by clicking here.
This is our review of the Dewalt DCD790B cordless drill that seems to be a winner for many buyers. Now you should know right away that this is a “bare tool.”
That means if you own a 20 volt Dewalt battery pack then that will power this drill. If you don’t then you will also have to buy a suitable battery pack from Dewalt to power this drill. You will also need the correct charger for that battery.
When you buy all of these, then it does start to become an expensive purchase.
Many of the brands do this with the theory being that if you own one battery, then you can use it on a number of power tools.
It is also a clever thing to do for the brands as they can keep getting you to buy their range of power tools.
These batteries are not cheap and a 2-pack costs around $130. You almost need to look at these as an investment.
I would only go down this route if you were planning on buying other Dewalt power tools, so as you could use the same battery on them all. Otherwise the drill becomes a very expensive option.
Below I have completed a detailed review of the Dewalt DCD790B which is a 20 Volt Compact Drill/Driver.
For those of you who prefer the detail, then please continue to read.
The batteries for this drill driver and are compatible with the entire line of Dewalt 20 Volt Max Tools.
Main Benefits of Buying the Dewalt DCD790B
I will quickly point out what I think are the main benefits. The first one is of course you will own a Dewalt product, and in my opinion they just make the best power tools on the market.
Secondly, if you buy a battery to fit this one, then you can purchase other bare tool Dewalt products and build up a quality tool collection.
The fact that this is a 20 volt Lithium Ion battery makes it the very best on the market right now and will last you a very long time. Now let’s have a closer look at the actual drill/driver itself.
Over 100 buyers at Amazon rate this one at 4.5 out of 5 stars, so that is a good number of reviews, and a nice high rating which should give you the proof that this is a very good product.
However at around $130 this is not a cheap buy, and some people will not just be able to afford it. There are other cheaper models available that will do the job for most people. This model should really only be for serious DIYers or professionals.
- It measures 9.9 x 8.6 x 3.9″ and weighs 3 pounds
- It has the now popular Dewalt brushless motor – that means the motor has a much longer life as there are no brushes on the coil that can burn out
- You can see from the size and dimensions that this is both compact and lightweight – that makes it ideal for working in tight or confined areas
- 2-speed settings for improved speed and torque control
- Metal 1/2-inch ratcheting chuck
- LED light with 20 second trigger release delay
- Comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty (limited)
What Buyers Like About the Dewalt DCD790B
- The brushless motor is powerful and will last for a very long time
- The metal ratcheting chuck on this one is really solid and grips the bits very well
- As it is compact it is really useful for working on joists and studs
- It is light so if you need to drill for a long time, no need to worry about hand or arm fatigue
- Very good battery life
- Fast and powerful
One buyer said this about his purchase:
The brushless drill is a complete dream to use. The chuck is the modern metal ratcheting design that holds all sizes of bits tightly with no issues, the run time is phenomenal. As for the drill itself, very powerful, very well balanced, and easy to use.
What Buyers Didn’t Like
- Some buyers said that the chuck can loosen after some use
- Some said the drill shuts down when under a heavy load
Overall Verdict and Recommendation.
If you but a Dewalt then you will almost always own a high quality product with a good guarantee. The kicker on this one is that you will also have to buy a battery, and a charger if you don’t already own one. That makes this a very expensive option for someone who just wants a drill/driver for the home.
If you have read any of my reviews, then you know that I am a huge Dewalt fan. This is yet another model which is great quality. I would however only recommend this to someone who already has a suitable Dewalt battery and charger. I would also recommend it if you are planning on buying other Dewalt power tools.
If you are not in either of those positions then there are cheaper options available. You can read my top 10 list of cordless drills here. There are a few complaints, but overall the Dewalt DCD790B gets very positive reviews and is a great drill to use.