DEWALT DWFP12231 Pneumatic 18-Gauge 2-Inch Brad Nailer Kit Review
This is our review of the DEWALT DWFP12231 Pneumatic 18-Gauge 2-Inch Brad Nailer Kit. This is a very popular nail gun choice for many buyers from a high end brand.
Many people like the Dewalt brand and it is almost always the choice of professionals. Buyers really like this product and they have given it an average 88% buyer satisfaction rating. We will explain why in more detail later in this article.
Please note that this is a pneumatic brad nail gun so you will need a compatible compressor (min. 80 psi) to be able to use this nail gun. We will also explain that in more detail later in this article.
This Dewalt DWFP 12231 is made to drive 18 gauge nails from 5/8" to 2" in length, by using a sequential style trigger, and has a 100 nail magazine capacity. This kit also includes 500 nails of 1-1/4" length, a carrying case, and an owner's manual.
Online buyers rate it very highly, and it incorporates a range of very useful features as standard.
Just below we have completed a short summary review for those readers who don’t have a lot of time to spend reading this detailed review. Hopefully you will find that useful. For those who want more information, then please feel to read on for more information after the summary review.
We have also produced a full specification for readers who like to know the technical detail. Underneath the specification you can also read what buyers have to say about this drill and how they rated it after they had bought and used it.
DEWALT DWFP12231 Nailer Summary Review
- Prices on this type of product will vary depending on where you actually buy it, but you should be able to get this in the $79-90 price range.
- This nailer is designed to drive 18 gauge nails from 5/8” to 2” in length
- You can adjust the depth of drive for the proper setting of nail heads.
- As mentioned earlier buyers rate this nailer with an 88% buyer satisfaction rating.
A Little About the Dewalt Company
The Dewalt company were founded in Leola Pennsylvania as far back as 1924. They expanded quickly in 1941 to meet the demands of Government orders for National Defense. They introduced their portable electric tools in 1992 and these were aimed at the residential contractor market, contractors, remodellers and professional woodworkers.
In 1994 they introduced a wide range of cordless power tools. In 2010 they introduced a range of Lithium-Ion cordless tools and a new range of Diamon Edge blades for saws. In 2013 they introduced a range of brushless motor power tools.
They have continued to innovate and bring many new power tools to the market, and their motto has always been to deliver guaranteed tough products.
Dewalt Tool Guarantee Explained
Three-Year Limited Warranty:- DEWALT will repair, without charge, any defects due to faulty materials or workmanship for three years from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover part failure due to normal wear or tool abuse.
For further detail of warranty coverage and warranty repair information, visit www.dewalt.com or call 1-800-4-DEWALT (1-800-433-9258). This warranty does not apply to accessories or damage caused where repairs have been made or attempted by others. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may have other rights which vary in certain states or provinces.
In addition to the warranty, DEWALT tools are covered by:
One-Year Free Service Contract. DEWALT will maintain the tool and replace worn parts caused by normal use, for free, any time during the first year after purchase.
90-Day Money Back Guarantee.
If you are not completely satisfied with the performance of your DEWALT Power Tool, Laser, or Nailer for any reason, you can return it within 90 days from the date of purchase with a receipt for a full refund – no questions asked.
Who Does or Should Buy This Particular Nail Gun?
If you are considering buying a brad nailer, then this model from Dewalt has been designed to drive 18 gauge nails from 5/8" to 2" in length, using a sequential style trigger, and has a 100 nail magazine capacity.
Our strong recommendation is that this is a consumer or homeowner designed nail gun. We would suggest this is not a work horse of a nail gun, and as such not suitable for contractors.
If you want a nail gun for hobbies, to do craft work or for some basic nailing work around the home, then this is a good choice. It has not however been designed to be used all day long for months on end.
You should also know that you will need a compatible compressor for this model of nailer to work as it is a pneumatic powered nailer. If you already own a compressor and air hose then you simply need to check if it is compatible.
It needs to be a compressor with between 70-120 psi, and something like the Dewalt 1 gallon compressor works great with this one.
DEWALT DWFP12231 Nailer Specification
In this section we examine the specification in a lot more detail. We start with a brief description and then delve into the detail.
- The nail gun measures 13 x 3.7 x 13.1 inches and weighs 2.65 pounds.
- The DEWALT DWFP12231 has a long life maintenance-free motor that helps prevent staining of the work surface. Buyers also say this is one of the lightest nail guns on the market. That really helps prevent arm fatigue if being used for a long time.
- A particularly useful feature is the tool free depth of drive adjustment with detents for proper setting of nail heads
- It also has as a feature which is a tool-free jam release mechanism for easy nail removal.
- The rear exhaust helps to keep contaminates away from work.
- This nail gun has a removable non-marring nose tip
- It comes with a belt hook that can be adjusted
- This kit also includes 500 nails of 1-1/4", carrying case, and owner's manual.
- This nailer has side magazine loading with a straight magazine angle. It does have a magazine release switch.
Buyer Ratings and Reviews Explained
When buying any tool online it is always worthwhile looking at how real life buyers have rated their product, after they have bought it, used it and then taken their time to leave a review.
It is also really worthwhile to understand what they have to say about the product. That of course includes both the good and the bad points.
These types of nailers do get a lot of reviews. The biggest problem with that is that they are bought by a wide range of different end users.
Different buyers have different experiences so you can get some pretty unusual, even crazy reviews. A lot of reviews are about postage and about receiving faulty or damaged goods.
Although that is important to them at the time, it really doesn’t help understand how good or bad the actual product is. People also buy the wrong type of nailer and then leave a bad review.
What we try to do is use our years of expertise to read all the reviews that are available, sift through those that are not directly rated to the nail gun, and then show you what the really important buyer information is. We have summarised this information below, and we are sure that you will find it very useful
- The overall buyer satisfaction rating for this nailer is 88% which is a very good and consistent buyer rating
- 80% of all buyers gave this a full 5 star rating
- 7% of all buyers gave this nailer a bad rating
What Buyers Didn’t Like About this Nailer?
We searched through the bad reviews to try and understand what problems people had experienced with this Dewalt nailer. From the available 500 online reviews we found 35 bad reviews.
In the main the majority of these bad complaints were about one of two issues:
- Stopped working after a few months – a few buyers felt frustrated as they had to return this under warranty because it simple seized up and stopped working
- Didn’t fire nails on a consistent basis – of the two complaints this was the larger of the two. 20 of the 35 complaints said that it didn’t always fire a nail into the wood consistently.
What Buyers Liked About this Nailer?
As you can see from the overall high satisfaction level the majority of buyers were very satisfied with their purchase.
We do want to point out again that this is in our opinion a homeowner type of nail gun, and not built like the Dewalt professional version, which would cost you about three times as much.
- It does all the basic nailing tasks really well and buyers said that it was very reliable and easy to load and fire.
- According to many buyers this nailer is a good option if you plan on using a tool like this anything between 1-40 hours per month. It is not suitable for contractor style regular daily use.
- Buyers said the weight was light and the gun felt really well balanced in the hand when being used.
- Buyers have used this fix panels on a fence, and to assemble wood boards/panels, picture frame assembly, trim and making cabinets
- Generally speaking buyers said they are happy not to be hammering anymore.
- Buyers said there was little to no kick back with this nail gun
- Buyers also liked the carry case that came with this kit
DWFP12231 Compatible Compressor
You need a compressor to work this pneumatic nail gun. You need to make certain that the air pressure does not exceed the recommended operating limits which are 70-120 psi, 4.9 to 8.3 bar, 5 to 8.5 kg/cm.
There is a standard 1/4" male industrial fitting at the bottom of the handle. We suggest using a female quick connect for easy connecting and disconnecting of the air hose to the Dewalt nailer.
The DEWALT DWFP55126 6-Gallon 165 PSI Pancake Compressor is the perfect choice. We have included some details below.
Our Verdict on the Dewalt DWFP12231 Pneumatic Brad Nailer
- It is pretty clear from reading all of the reviews, that the huge majority of buyers are very happy and pleased with their purchase.
- This is a good sound choice for someone who does craft work, has a related hobby or does general type of home repairs and projects.
- It is of course important to buy a compatible compressor and hose to power this nail gun. If you already own one, then of course you are good to go, if you decide to buy this particular model.
- Buyers say it is easy to use, easy to reload and easy to fire. That is all you really need for a good quality nail gun.
- This model is covered by the standard Dewalt warranty which is an excellent one when compared to many other brands.
What Buyers Bought When They Bought This Dewalt Nailer
When buyers bought this nail gun, they also bought a selection of nails to work with the gun. Most buyers bought a mixed pack of 18 gauge brad nails with varying sizes such as 1”, 1 ½”, 2” etc
People typically bought a galvanised variety pack from Senco.
The Senco brand was the most popular choice by quite a long way.
The DEWALT DWFP55126 6-Gallon 165 PSI Pancake Compressor is a popular choice for many buyers.
That concludes our review of the popular Dewalt DWFP12231 Pneumatic 18-Gauge 2-Inch Brad Nailer Kit. Hopefully you have found it useful. It is one of the most affordable on the market, from a very good brand and if you already own a compressor then even better.