Hitachi DS18DGL 18-Volt Compact Drill Driver Kit Review
This is our review of the Hitachi DS18DGL 18-Volt Compact Drill Driver Kit. Many buyers simply prefer the Hitachi brand, when it comes to buying their tools.
This is probably their best model in the 18 volt range when it comes to buying a cordless drill from this brand. It has an RRP of $129.97, though you can usually find some sort of deal online.
Those buyers who have bought this drill, and then taken the time to leave a review, have given it an overall buyer satisfaction rating of 88%, which is considered to be a very good rating.
What we did like about this model is that it is covered by Hitachi's Lifetime Lithium Ion tool warranty and two-year Lithium Ion battery warranty. Compared to many other tool brands, that is an impressive warranty.
In our review below, we get stuck into the details of this cordless drill so as you can decide if this is the one for you.
You can buy this one in certain online stores such as Amazon either as the drill/driver with a battery, or as the drill/driver with a battery and a 120 piece accessory set.
If you don't own drill bits and driving bits, then the set is probably the better option though more expensive. If you already own a range of bits, then there is just no need to purchase the 120 piece kit.
Hitachi DS18DGL Drill Driver Kit Summary Review
- Comes with an 18 volt Lithium-Ion battery and a charger
- 2 speed gear box so as you can pick the right speed for the material you are drilling into
- 1/2" chuck size
- LED work light which is very useful
- 22 torque settings with 400 lbs of torque
- Comes with a carrying/storage case
Who Does or Should Buy This Particular 18 Volt Drill?
The majority of buyers for this drill are primarily those that really like and trust the Hitachi brand. This drill has more than enough power and flexibility and will accomplish all of the basic homeowner projects.
It will also be able to do most home projects in the home and garden as it has plenty of power, and is light in weight, so great to prevent user fatigue.
However the one thing we noticed when reading all of the reviews, was that the majority of buyers who had bought other Hitachi tools, came looking for an Hitachi drill as they really do like the quality of this brand, and the excellent warranty and support that sits behind it.
Hitachi DS18DGL Specification
In this section we examine the specification in a lot more detail. We start with a brief description and then delve into the detail.
- The drill measures 8.5 x 3.1 x 8.9 inches and weighs 3.7 pounds.
- This DS18DGL model needs 2 lithium-ion batteries which are supplied along with the drill
- Thanks to the 400 in/lbs of torque, this drill can power through any tough job with ease. An ideal feature to have when drilling through the tougher hard woods such as oak
- Many buyers commented on the useful LED light which does light up dark or confined spaces, and many brands now have this feature as standard
- We do like the keyless 1/2" chuck as it first off provides simple bit replacements. However many of these 18 volt drill come as 3/8" and the extra 1/2" opens up the ranges of drill bits that you can use
- This model also has what is known as a 22+1 stage clutch with 22 torque settings
- Most importantly it is also covered by Hitachi's Lifetime Lithium Ion tool warranty and 2-year Lithium Ion battery warranty.
Buyer Ratings and Reviews Explained
When buying any tool online it is always worthwhile looking at how real life buyers have rated their product, after they have bought it, used it and then taken their time to leave a review.
It is also really worthwhile to understand what they have to say about the product. That of course includes both the good and the bad points.
These types of 18V cordless drills do get a lot of reviews. The biggest problem with that is that they are bought by a wide range of different end users.
Different buyers have different experiences so you can get some pretty unusual, even crazy reviews. A lot of reviews are about postage and about receiving faulty or damaged goods.
Although that is important to them at the time, it really doesn’t help understand how good or bad the actual product is. People also buy the wrong type of drill and then leave a bad review.
What we try to do is use our years of expertise to read all the reviews that are available, sift through those that are not directly rated to the drill/driver, and then show you what the really important buyer information is. We have summarised this information below, and we are sure that you will find it very useful
- The overall buyer satisfaction rating for this drill is 88% which is a very good and consistent buyer rating
- 73% of all buyers gave this a full 5 star rating
- 6% of all buyers gave this drill/driver a bad rating
What Buyers Didn’t Like About this Drill?
We searched through the bad reviews to try and understand what problems people had experienced with this Hitachi DS18DGL model. From the available 300 online reviews we found 20 bad reviews.
In the main the majority of these bad complaints were about one of two issues:
- Battery Charger stopped working after a few months – a few buyers felt frustrated as the charger that charges the batteries stopped working anything between 6 months to 2 years. This was not covered under the guarantee, and only has a 12 month warranty
- Chuck wobble problems – There were only a couple of complaints about chuck wobble, which these 2 buyers found when applying pressure to the drill when drilling aluminum
What Buyers Liked About this Drill Kit?
As you can see from the overall high satisfaction level the majority of buyers were very satisfied with their Hitachi drill purchase.
- It does all the basic drilling tasks really well and buyers said that it was very reliable and easy to use thanks to the light weight and the compact design
- Most buyers did say that they believed this was very good value for money
- Buyers said this was a very good choice for anyone who had small hands and wanted a compact drill/driver
- Buyers say the newer style of Lithium Ion batteries do hold their charge for a great deal longer
Our Verdict on the Hitachi DS18DGL 18-Volt Compact Drill Driver Kit
- What became very clear when reading the many reviews was that this was a very popular choice for those who have used the Hitachi brand before
- We know that it is a lightweight drill/driver, that gets good ratings, and that buyers believe to be good value for money.
It came in at number 5 on our top 10 list where we rate the top 10 18V cordless drills by the highest buyer rating. That shows that this Hitachi model is right up there with the best of them.
We think it sits at about the right price point, but is expensive enough, so certainly not a cheap purchase.
It isn't packed with features, but it has more than enough features for almost all of the home owner tasks. The chuck is good, the power is good and the size makes it suitable for almost any type of user.
What Buyers Bought When They Bought This Hitachi Drill
When buyers bought this drill/driver quite a few of them also went on to buy the separate 120 piece drill bit and screwdriver set. As we mentioned earlier, you can buy this as the drill/driver only, or with this set of bits.
It is better value to buy them both together. In the set you do get quite a lot of useful accessories for your drill/driver. We have listed those below and they come in a carrying/storage case.
Drill bits: black oxide – 1mm (3), 1.5mm (3), 2mm (3), 2.5mm (3), 3mm (3), 3.25mm, 3.5mm, 4mm, 4.5mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm Drill bits: brad point – 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm Masonry bits: 3mm, 3.5mm, 4mm (2), 5mm (2), 6mm, 7mm Spade bits: 13, 19, 25 Nut drivers: 5, 6, 7, 8 ,9, 10
That concludes our review of the popular Hitachi DS18DGL 18-Volt Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 Inch Compact Drill Driver Kit. Hopefully you have found it useful. It is one of the most affordable on the market, from a very good brand.