The Makita BO5031K is a 5 inch sander, and is still one of the most popular choices on the market place. This one is a strong seller, and many more buyers are shifting their allegiance to the Makita brand. This one is we believe fairly priced at around $80, depending on where you make your purchase.
This one rates at 4.6 out of 5 stars according to over 100 buyers at Amazon. That should tell you that this is a very good product, that people like a lot. Below I have completed a full review on this sander model which I hope you will find informative.
For those who don’t have time to read a full review, then click here to check availability at Amazon.
Main Benefits of the Makita 5″ Sander
- Like many of the other sanders out there, this one is also powered by a strong 3.0 Ampere motor
- It comes with a good variable speed control
- Uses the hook and loop system
- The electric switches are sealed to prevent sawdust getting inside the product
- Has a good 1/8″ orbit action
The above features are standard now in any good random orbit sander. To be honest, any sander that does not have the above, is probably not worth buying. So, it certainly ticks all the right boxes as far as having a good specification is concerned.
You can check out this video review below.
What Do Buyers Think of the Makita BO5031K
You can tell from the high rating that buyers certainly like the product, so that is a good start. Overall they believe that it is good value for money and works well for the types of sanding and finishing jobs, that they are doing. I have captured below the various positives that buyers have highlighted:
- Powerful – If you are going to be removing stock and finishing then you need power, and all of the buyers were impressed by the power of this one
- Price – A large number of buyers said they found this one to be cheaper, and just as good, as similar models that are in the market – We recommend checking our top rated table here.
- Discs – Most of the buyers said that the discs stick well to this sander using the velcro
- Variable Speed – Buyers liked the fact that they had speed options and we think it is vital to have this feature
- Comfortable – Again buyers said there was little vibration, was easy to hold, and easy on the arms.
What Buyers Do Not Like
- The dust collection system – this is a common complaint among many sanders. We recommend having your own dust collection system, rather then depending on the bags that come will all of these products.
- What was interesting was that some buyers said the dust collection on this was good. The reason for this conflict in views is that it depends on what your expectations are, and what other sanders you have used.
- The On/Off button was badly located on the front
- Not great for high stock removal
We are not going to argue with a 4.6 out of 5 star rating. That said, this one does have its limits. For general sanding and finishing it will do a good job. For heavier work this might not be the one for you. So, if for example, you are taking on a big project, you will probably be better off with a larger and more powerful sander.
Enough buyers said that this one struggled with heavy stock removal. That should just make you a little wary if you plan on doing jobs of that nature. One person said they could not get wooden floors done with this. To be fair to Makita, it is something like a belt sander that should be used for that.