This jigsaw model 4395-01 from the Skil company came out at number 2 on our top 10 list of jigsaws. This one gets cracking reviews, and with an average price of around the $45 mark, this one is again really good value for money.
This is a powerful saw and if you decide to buy this one, then you will not be disappointed in any way. Below we have summarised the key and most important features.
- No tools required for blade changing – speeds things up nicely
- A powerful 5.5 Ampere motor that is strong and fast
- Variable speed trigger
- A choice of 4 positions for doing your orbital cuts – ideal for cutting different materials
- Nice broad foot and that makes it easier to balance on your work piece.
- A good handle to grip and easy on the hands
- Can cut bevels if required up to 45 degrees
This one we would be happy to recommend for the person who wants or needs to various woodworking projects around the home. Simply being able to do bevel cuts as and when you need to, makes this one rate very highly on our list.
Here is a video that explains this particular model’s key features very well.
Main Pros of the Jigsaw
- Overall this is considered to be a high quality saw (4.6 out of 5 stars)
- Great DIY or Home use saw
- Good general purpose saw
- This is an orbital jigsaw and that means it cuts up and down, and also backwards and forwards for faster and much neater cutting
- Can cut through plywood, press boards, hard woods, 2×4’s etc easily
- Ideal for most projects like decking etc
- Not much vibration and a good weight to it
- Comes with a carrying bag
Main Cons of the Jigsaw
- If you have read any of my reviews you will know I never trust a laser line – this one is no different so always mark your own line and cut to that
- It comes with two blades which are OK, but like any jigsaw, you will also need to buy a good set of sharp blades – personally I find that Bosch make the best jigsaw blades
It is important to understand from the start that this particular Skil saw will set you back around $45 so don’t pay any more than that. At that price point we don’t think that you will be disappointed. This is a nicely weighted saw, with a powerful enough motor, that will get you through most wood types pretty easily.
You don’t need to force this saw through anything as it cuts quickly and cuts efficiently.
It isn’t a saw for a professional as they need to be able to use one of these every day, and they need a ton of features, that most people doing home projects will never need to use. It is always a good idea to have one of these in your home as it is a great general purpose saw.
There are some really nice features in this one. The quick blade change is a great idea, rather than having to screw out a holder and then replace it. That not only saves you time but a great deal of frustration.
Most people who have bought this and taken the time to leave a review do seem to like this one a lot. There were a few negative comments, but overall they were all positive.
SKIL 94916 16 Piece Jigsaw Blade Set
I thought I would include a set of blades from the actual manufacturer. These attract 4.8 out of 5 star reviews so they are very good. I am a Bosch man myself, but this full set for under $10 is hard to ignore. They are made from high carbon steel, and can be used on a range of materials, such as wood, plastic, composites and metal as well.
This set will fit all SKIL jigsaws and most other U-Shank brands. You get:
- 2 Wood/Scroll blades
- 3 Wood/Fine blades
- 3 Multi-purpose blades
- 3 Wood fast cutting blades
- 3 Metal/Smooth cutting blades
- 2 Metal/Fast blades
- 1 Plaster/Drywall blade
Overall a nice working set and good value for money.