WEN AT6535 3.5 Amp Oscillating Spindle Sander with Extra Large Beveling Table Top Review
Thanks for taking the time to read our review of the very popular WEN AT6535 3.5-Amp Oscillating Spindle Sander. This WEN model comes with five sizes of sanding sleeves, and is powered by a 2000 RPM motor.
The table top bevels, and you also get a dust port, ten throat plates, four sanding drums and all backed by a 2-year warranty.
In this article we have completed a detailed review of this WEN sander model, so as you can decide if this is the best choice for you. This model has sold a lot and has maintained a very high 92% buyer satisfaction.
The average price point for spindle sanders is around £500. This WEN model is less than half that price, and it is this keen price point, that makes this a popular choice for many buyers. Let’s take a closer look
The WEN BRAND
WEN was founded by a man called Nick Anton back in 1951, WEN originally started by bringing tools and electricity together, or as you and I know it, power tools.
These tools included chainsaws, soldering guns, jigsaws, engravers, and the knife and wet wheel sharpeners. WEN even pioneered random orbital technology. That is of course the very technology that we now have and use with sanders and also with polishers, waxers, and buffers.
WEN have continued to develop their tool range and they now make a range of other products. These include drill presses, tool chests, bench grinders, nailers, miter saws, hand tools, generators, and air compressors to name a few.
Today, WEN's headquarters can be found in Elgin, Illinois. Our goal is to help woodworkers and artisans across the world execute their wildest imaginations. To date they have sold over 50 million tools.
Who Would or Should Buy an Oscillating Spindle Sander?
A spindle sander is a tool that was designed to help users create a smooth, flat finish to wood pieces. In particular they were made to allow the end user to create detailed work or curved edges, and especially inside curves.
A spindle sander, is simply a rotating cylindrical drum, which is covered with gritty sandpaper. When you bring the wood to the sander, you can then quickly and easily get rid of saw marks, rough curved edges and inside hole cuts.
Most spindle sanders have an oscillation feature. So as well as the rotation of the drum, the drum also oscillates up and down during the rotations.
This oscillating feature prevents burns and band marks on the wood, and also helps increase the life of the sanding sleeve. by spreading the wear across a wider surface area.
The bench top versions, like this one and other portable models are used for projects around the home and for detailed wood working. So if you fall into this category or are an amateur woodworker, then by owning a spindle sander, you certainly open up a wide range of sanding options.
It is also a really good price point for anyone wanting to try a spindle sander. Most sanders of this type will cost double what this model costs.
Some buyers did ask if this was a suitable machine to use on metal, and we don’t think that this is what this model was designed for. This one is made to work on wood.
What Types of Spindle Sander Are There?
Spindle sanders come in a range of types and sizes:
- Floor machines that stand alone
- Bench Top Models
- Handheld or Portable Models
The WEN AT6535 that we are reviewing here is classed as a bench top model.
As you would expect floor models are bigger and more expensive than the other two types. They are mainly used by commercial companies or larger businesses.
The benchtop and handheld models are used for small do-it-yourself projects around the house.
How Do Buyers Rate the WEN AT6535 Sander
- The average online buyer satisfaction rating is 92%
- 78% of all buyers gave this WEN model a full 5 star review
- Only 2% gave this sander a bad review
What Buyers Said About the WEN AT6535 3.5-Amp Spindle Sander
- Almost every buyer said this WEN model was very good value for money
- Buyers said the oscillating action is very smooth
- Buyers said the dust collection was very impressive
- Most buyers did say this was noisy but not noisy enough to put them off using this sander
- Buyers said this was a dream come true for sanding inside curves
- Buyers were also impressed with the amount of power this machine had
- Buyers said it runs smoothly and with little to no vibration
- 2% of all buyers gave this a bad review
- We found around 1% of all buyers said that this broke down anything between a few weeks and a few months and they had to get it replaced under warranty
- Around 1% of all buyers said that this sander is just too noisy for them
- 1% of buyers said they received a machine that was dead on arrival and that had to be sent back and replaced.
Specification - Features & Benefits of Using the WEN AT6535
- Measures 14.8 x 14.8 x 16.8 inches
- Weighs 33.2 pounds
- Has 5 five sizes of sanding sleeves: 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 inch, 1-1/2 inch, and 2 inches
- 2000 RPM motor
- Oscillates spindle 58 times per minute with a 5/8-inch stroke
- Basic onboard storage to hold throat plates, rubber sanding drums and table inserts
- Table Size: 14.5 by 14.5-inch table
- Table bevels up to 45 degrees to accommodate angled work pieces
- An excellent 1.5” dust port
- 10 throat plates
- 5 80-grit sanding sleeves
- 4 rubber sanding drums
- Voltage: 110 volts
- 2 year warranty
Our Verdict on the WEN AT6535 Oscillating Sander
It is pretty clear that this WEN model is noisy, and many spindle sanders are not. If too much noise puts you off then don’t buy this model as you will be disappointed.
A sander like the WEN 6523 Oscillating Belt & Spindle Sander is going to be a quieter, but more expensive option.
With reference to this WEN model though, a few buyers were clearly disappointed by either receiving a faulty product, or the product going faulty.
Even though you can get this replaced under warranty, it is still a pain in the ass.
Overall though, the vast majority of buyers were very satisfied with their purchase, and that does explain the very high 92% buyer satisfaction rating. It is in our opinion, virtually impossible to argue with the price point.
If you are someone who has in the past bought cheap tools and then been disappointed, then we do understand that frustration and annoyance. This WEN model will not disappoint you, as long as you realize that it is not a high end sander.
The design and the finish of this are adequate. The table is cast iron, flat and has the bevel option. We would recommend adding some wax paste to it, as that will help with the smoothness.
This sander will not stall or bog down, as long as you allow the sander to do the work and not force it.
The dust collection is highly effective and will take away 99% of the dust. That is a big plus for this WEN sander.
A couple of buyers made some interesting points such as it would have been useful to find a place to store the extra washers.